Saturday, July 19, 2008

Castles, Asians, and more Gay Pride festivals

Andrew summed up Munich pretty well with his last post. I love Bavaria.

Fussen was a quaint little mountain town. It did have a McDonald's, but it was on the outskirts of town and not in the city center. They didn't even have a Starbucks! The train ride in was beautiful. It was clear and we had a great view of the mountains. When we got settled into our hostel, we decided to eat dinner and we ended up sitting at a table with a Swedish man, a Finnish woman, and two Taiwanese people our age that were studying in Italy. We had some great conversation regarding beer, golf, soccer, etc. It was funny because the Swedish guy's favorite beer is Sam Adams, which i also Andrew's favorite. Very ironic. Walking back to the hostel, we noticed the Taiwanese people walking the same direction and found out that they were not only staying in our hostel, but they were our roommates. What a small world, eh? We could see the castle from our room, which was really neat.

After a beautiful Wednesday, we woke up Thursday to POURING down rain. And of course this was the day that we chose to go to Neuschwanstein Castle. I haven't complained about the rain this whole time, but I was kind of sad that it was raining on Thursday. ..I wanted to get pretty pictures of the castle! We trudged on to the castle and took the tour of the finished part of it. It was kind of disappointing, but only because there wasn't that much that got finished before the King who built it died. I managed to get a few decent pictures...as it was beautiful from the outside, but the rain did dampen my spirits...figuratively an literally.

Since it was cold and wet, Andrew and I used the remainder of the day to nap, which was well needed.

Yesterday we came to Frankfurt. Since we're only using it as a hub for day trips, we really hadn't planned much to do here so we just wandered around the city last night. We saw all sorts of neat buildings and had some wonderful gelato. We heard music and decided to check it out and...low and behold....it was yet another gay pride festival. That makes 2 festivals in 2 cities, which I think that makes us unofficial roadies. We found great humor in the situation.

Today we caught a train to Heidelburg. It was a really cute city, although it was much bigger than I'd imagined it to be. We went and walked around the old city and saw the castle (we didn't tour it, we just took pictures of it). There's also an old church in the center with a bell tower, so we climbed it and saw the town from the top. We also stopped in a bakery and got an "Original Heidelburg (Some German Word)" and it was the most wonderful thing I've ever tasted. It was a creamy icing type thing, with a cake like thing surrounding it, dipped in chocolate. It was heaven.

Our hostel had a spaghetti dinner, so we came back from Heidelburg a little early to take advantage of that (it's hard to pass up free food!) and they have free wi fi so now here we are. It's pouring down rain (yet again...that's all it seems to do in Germany!) so it's doubtful we'll romp around the city anymore tonight.

On a side note, I've had to buy an additional suitcase since all my crap seems to be reproducing. Luckily, I can use it as a carry on so all of our souvenirs will go in it.

We'll try to update again before we head to Amsterdam. Hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of unlimited internet and get some more pictures on here.

Hope everyone reading this is doing well!

7 comments:

Aunt Tami said...

Sorry you were disappointed with the castle. I think it rained every time I went there too. I remember a frog crossing sign near there. It was a warning to drivers because so many frogs would cross the road and get run over that the road would become really slick. I loved Bavaria

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to get the phone call. I know you guys need rest. but your trip has just been so exciting. Wish you could bring home the pretzels, geleto and the desserts. MMMMM. Oh well. Oh Auntie Jo read the Blog but didn't know how to comment but told me to tell u she is enjoying it. Went bowling today did well but wasn't as much fun as when we went with your friends. Stay save and love y ou guys. Nice to hear Ray will e joining you again

Love
Mom

Jami said...

Awwwww, I'm sorry it rained. You would have enjoyed it more if the weather had been better. We were lucky and had good weather when we wnet. It was just every other time we went somewhere it rained. I know the sign Tami is talking about, I think I have a picture of it. It's about time you made roomfor pastries. You can't live on beer alone.
I miss you--a lot. As much as I love your blog, I'm ready for you to come home :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know you'll be able to bear to return from your trip! It has been amazing just to read it. You'll never be the same!

Anonymous said...

That should be, I don't know HOW you'll be able to return! And I'm not the one drinking all the beer!

Barbara said...
I don't know you'll be able to bear to return from your trip!

Anonymous said...

So yes, I too am one of your guys' faithful readers! I just don't comment. I like to take it all in. It all sounds wonderful! I do feel like we are with you guys, since I know you are directing some of it directly to me. Like Asians and sweets or sweet Asians-you know me well! Seriously though, I miss our fabulous foursome!

Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe that it will only be mere days before you guys return from your adventure...although the Stevie and Andrew hand-puppets I've been using to curb my missing you guys so much are beginning to show some wear. Ha ha--wear. In retrospect, I guess I should have used a rainbow-colored socks to commemorate how often you guys seem to stumble into gay pride parades.

In all seriousness, cheers to the happy times you are enjoying. Keep traveling safely and soaking in everything for your stories to tell later. We'll see you aliens soon!

P.S. Who's this sexy asian Kasey mentioned? I'll beat him up!